Cardiac Catheterization is the insertion of a catheter into a chamber or vessel of the heart under local anesthesia. This is done for both investigational and interventional purposes. Subsets of this technique are mainly coronary catheterization, involving dye injection into the coronary artery to assess the blockages, and catheterization of measuring pressures and oxygen in cardiac chambers and assessing the valves.
Percutaneous coronary intervention
A severely narrowed coronary artery needs treatment to reduce the risk of a heart attack. Various treatment options are:
- Angioplasty: Dilatation of a narrowed blood vessel with a help of a balloon.
- Stent: It involves insertion of a mesh or spring like metal device inside an artery at a site of narrowing after angioplasty. This will prevent collapsing of the artery.
- Bypass Graft Surgery: Using veins in the leg or artery in the chest to bypass the blocked artery for enough blood flow supplying the heart.
Percutaneous device closure for adult congenital and acquired heartdefects
With a joint operation of adult and pediatric cardiac interventionist along with echo specialist and anesthesiologist, the cardiac center, King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital provides the treatment of percutaneous device closure for congenital heart disease and a state-of-the art percutaneous device closure of acquired heart disease including paravalvular leakage, aneurysm of the aorta of the LV whose neck is narrow and suitable for device design.
- Percutaneous ventricular septal defect (VSD) device closure
- Percutaneous atrial septal defect (ASD) device closure
- Percutaneous patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) device closure
- Pulmonic and mitral valvular balloon dilatation
- Percutaneous device closure of paravalvular leakage and aneurysm of cardiovascular disease.
Cardiac Cath Lab Office: is located on 4th Floor of Bhumisiri Building
7.30-16.30 Monday to Friday
Patient referral: Please contact CCU cardiology fel
low at 02-2564570 (telephone and fax numbers)
Scheduling and appointment patient for cardiac catheterization: Please contact and schedule at Sorkor FL 17. Please bring all required documents with you including health insurance card , MD referral letter, etc.
For more information: Telephone: 66- 2565193-4, 66-2256-5166, 66-2256-5175
For emergency or severe chest discomfort please direct to emergency room. Cardiology consultation and fast track for heart attack is provided at the emergency room for 24 hours.